How do I know that I am getting quality training from a qualified Instructor?
Instructors that have been trained and assessed to this high standard are listed on the National Register of LGV Instructors, which can be checked at any time. Those who are registered will have an ID badge, which includes their photo and unique member number.
Can I pay for the training course on finance or over stages?
We accept all major credit and debit card payments, which are taken online via Worldpay. Plus, we accept BACS payments directly into the bank. When making the initial booking to secure the course and test, we request a £200 booking fee / deposit and then require the remaining balance be paid in full at least 14 days before the course start date. Deposit paid is non refundable.
We can also offer finance through our online partner IDEAL4FINANCE. Repayment loans can be arranged to spread the costs over manageable payments from six months to five years. The cost of xredit will be discussed confidentially with an IDEAL4FINANCE representative and a no obligation (soft credit search) and quotation can be given by them on all the different repayment plans available.
Unlike scam brokerage options available elsewhere online, you still only pay the same amount for our courses and the credit charge (at an agreed APR figure) is the exact figure you pay back. All financing is fully transparent and detailed by the representative from IDEAL4FINANCE.
What is the average training time it takes to reach the required LGV / PCV test standard? Also, is there a wait once the course is finished before I take my test?
This all depends on your specific driving experience and learning ability as everyone is different. However, the average number of required hours is 20 and these are usually spread over five days. Our pricing structure is designed to give customers a best possible price for the hours/days that they will realistically require.
An average training course consists of five days with four hours of driver training each day, and then the fifth is Test Day. Time is allocated before the Test for a pre-test practice of the Q+A’s, reverse and warm-up drive. So there’s no waiting around for your Test Date after you finish the course as it’s designed to be included.
AM or PM times can be arranged and weekends can be included in the training course.
Will I have to share my training time with someone else in the lorry? Will I be swapping between different instructors during this time?
Unless otherwise requested, our entire driver training is conducted on a one to one basis with yourself and the instructor. They will remain the same throughout your training course and will be with you on the test day. If requested on your test day, the instructor will also be present during the end of test debrief / result discussion with the examiner. Some businesses will prefer the other option of 2 people in the cab, and extending the training day to 8 hours.
What is a broker? Are you a broker? How do I safeguard against falling into this expensive trap?
They usually offer payment packages using in-house or external finance companies. These companies offer credit agreements for everyone, to spread the training costs over many years. They then try to place you with a training provider as local to you as they can but you won’t know who or where this will be until just before your training course is due to start.
To avoid becoming involved with brokers, you should search for a recommended and local company. Check the phone area code and office address to make sure it’s local. Arrange to visit the company and meet your instructor and see the training vehicle. At the very least, you should check out the company online and via social media to see previous customer reviews.
Can I drive a manual gearbox vehicle once I have passed my test in an automatic vehicle?
What subjects will be covered in my driver training course?
There will be a cross section of subjects that will cover the following:
- Show me, tell me Q+As – please confirm printed, read and understood (usually issued by email with course joining instructions).
- Intro to vehicle: vehicle mounts / dismounts, daily checks / cockpit drill, moving off – safely, under control.
- Stopping procedure: selecting a safe place.
- Use of mirrors: signal, change of direction and change of speed.
- Giving signals: necessary, correctly and timed.
- Response to signs and signals: other road users and lane markings.
- Approaching junctions: turning left and right, crossroads, cutting corners, crossing the path of other vehicles, roundabouts, traffic lights, positioning and lane discipline.
- Awareness and anticipation: forward planning.
- Making progress and use of speed: appropriate speed ad undue hesitation.
- Following distance: ability to stop safely, two second rule and effects of weather.
- Judgement when overtaking and meeting: clearance and dangers.
- Pedestrian crossing: forward planning and different types.
- Bus lanes: understand signs, markings and different timings.
- Reversing exercise: control and observation.
- Independent driving: explain and practice.
- Uncoupling and recouping: procedure required for test (C+E).
- Manual over-ride on auto HGVs: optional subject (not required for DVSA driving test).
- Industry Knowledge and Top Tips all passed on during the training course.
- Progressive training structured to build up ability and confidence to Test Day. Full explanation of what to expect and a full Mock Test practice on the day before test.
Get In Touch
For more information or to enquire about our driver training services, please call us on 01952 913177 / 07876 572335 or fill out the contact form below.
ARE YOU A NEW VOCATIONAL DRIVER ? OR AN EXISTING DRIVER THAT STILL NEEDS TO GET ALL 5 DAYS COMPLETED ASAP OR BEFORE THE SEPT DEADLINE ?? We have the answer for you with up to 20 places available on each date we will be running Weekday block courses.
Soon to be announced, the dates we are going to be running weekday (5 day) courses. Will be announced on here for the weeks that we are going to be running 5 day courses in Telford and Shrewsbury.
Stafford Park 12